Either "Fundamentals of Public Participation and Engagement (Level 1 practitioners)" or "IAP2 Way in Challenging Contexts (Level 2 practitioners)" is a prerequisite for this course. Learn more
Applying Methods is a Level 2 course that focuses on exploring a variety of methods used in implementing public participation and engagement and considers how to design and integrate those methods into the public participation and engagement practice process. Participants will learn to select, assess and create effective elements of methods to work meaningfully with participants.
Bundle Discount Available!Register Now!
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify a range of methods that can be used for various engagement purposes and processes, and strategies to select the most appropriate method/s for an engagement project/process
- Research, design and test a face to face and/or online method using a range of tools and resources
- Apply the four steps of designing a method to incorporate the eight key components of method design
- Develop rational and experiential aims
- Design an appropriate format
- Design questions and process
- Develop appropriate communications
- Combine methods to achieve engagement goals and objectives and test for appropriate sequencing
- Incorporate inclusivity and diversity principles
- Identify data management needs, evaluation points and measures
- Identify resources required
- Explore a variety of both face to face and online methods/techniques that include a nested structure of different methods (e.g. deliberative processes, Appreciative Inquiry, Open Space Technology)
- Analyze the specific engagement requirements for online and digital methods, identify and select appropriate platforms and tools to meet needs, and strategies to sequence these methods for delivery
- Identify principles for monitoring online activity
- Test the design by running elements of the method and submitting for peer review using a checklist
- Apply methods to achieve engagement goals and objectives including using effective communication skills, and test for appropriate sequencing
- Design key messages and know how to use communication tools that build trust and integrity, and meet the needs of diverse audiences
- Practitioners with some public participation and engagement practice experience who are looking to cement their knowledge and skills
This is an IAP2 Canada core training course delivered externally by a IAP2 licensed trainer.
This is a 12-hour, trainer-led Delaney Virtual Academy. Zoom and Google Suites (digital workbook provided at course conclusion) are used, in addition to other applications, to make this a highly interactive and skills-based session. There are four, three-hour sessions over four consecutive days. Each daily session runs 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Pacific Time; 12:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time
Prerequisite:Fundamental of P2 and Engagement is the level 1 prerequisite for this course.
$795.00 + applicable tax - - Engage Delaney is offering a $100 bundle discount when you book the three IAP2 Certificate courses (Fundamentals of P2, Designing P2, and Applying Methods) with us. You can select the courses in a given 12-month period but must pay for all three courses at the same time.Register Now!
Our Licensed Trainers:
Jessica Delaney is a seasoned engagement and communications professional with 15 years of experience working with government, private and not-for-profit sectors.
She provides clients with engagement, facilitation and strategic communications services in her strength sectors that include municipal government, sustainable housing, and healthcare. Jessica has planned, implemented and reported on over 100 comprehensive and inclusive engagements using a variety of in-person and online engagement techniques. Her approach to community, public, stakeholder and Indigenous engagement is to make it safe, inclusive, fun and practical.
Learn more at http://www.rmdelaney.com/